Monday, July 8, 2013

Crate and Potty Training

Crate Training

I'll admit I'm a slightly obsessive mommy and did a lot of research before getting bones and even now.  There are two things you should know about crate training
  1. It's supposed to be a safe place for puppy, do not close the crate on him when he's scared or anxious, he needs to be calm when he is in his crate
  2. Never use the crate as punishment, EVER.
The first night of crate training was easy, the poor guy was so tired he didn't care where he slept as long as he could see us.  The second night was trickier and I was too tired to argue with Bones and get him calm and back in his crate, I confined him to the hallway where he could see us and go in his crate if he wanted to.  Night 3 was much better.  Bones was a little hesitant to go in his crate, even when lured with a treat, but after sitting with him for awhile, he accepted it.  When I got into bed he whined, but I tapped on the grate and said "quiet" and he behaved.  Night 4 was magic!

Asleep in his crate for the night


Bones likes to reorganize his crate and play with his squeaky ducky.  I had a wee wee pad on the bottom of the crate in case he had an accident - luckily for me he's an amazing puppy and has never had an accident in the middle of the night.



I folded an old pair of jeans and put them in the crate since it's too hot for a blanket, and I heard the scent of his owners will calm him while we're away at work.  I came home to find his rope toy in his crate and the wee wee pad rearranged, so he seems to be taking to the crate really well.  I put him in there when I vacuum and he stays much calmer.

Potty Training

***REMEMBER, it's not safe to let puppy on public grass or dog parks before he has all his shots!***

Potty training can be extremely frustrating and there's a lot of methods you can use.  Bones came to us at 9 weeks with a head start thanks to an awesome breeder.  We use wee wee pads in the house, and bought cleaner for any accidents.  The most important thing to remember is consistency.  Bones is taken out every time he wakes up, after meals, and before bed.  We take him out to the same area and praise bones as much as possible when he does his business outside and on the wee wee pad.  Accidents happen, but as long as we're watchful and can take him out when needed, he doesn't have any accidents.

No comments:

Post a Comment